Tulane Urology has been dedicated to bringing minimally invasive urologic procedures to this region of the country including:
- percutaneous nephrostomy
- shockwave lithotripsy
- laser use in urology
- urologic laparoscopy
- cryosurgery for the prostate cancer
- radical perineal prostatectomy
- Tulane Urology was the first in the entire Gulf South to use the da Vinci robot to perform robotic radical prostatectomy,
- Tulane Urology was the first to use the newer da Vinci Xi, Si, and Si-e models.
- Tulane Urology was the first institution in the region to have the Single-Port (SP) robot.
Due to our dedication and patient-centric approach and due to our highly specialized and experienced faculty, you should choose Tulane Urology for your urology care, especially for complex cases and experienced-based outcomes.
Tulane Urology has what it takes to be your urologic specialist.
Sound clinical judgment
In each of the highly specialized urologic procedures, Tulane Urology is among the world leaders in providing state-of-the art urologic care.
The patient’s choice of such a team to manage their prostate cancer is important. Once the diagnosis of prostate cancer has been made, the questions to ask are:
- Has the staging of my prostate cancer been appropriately done?
- Is my cancer localized to the prostate gland?
- Are fellowship-trained urologists on the treating team?
- What is their level of experience in robotic urologic surgery?
- Do they perform specialized imaging such as the PSMA scan?
- What if my cancer is beyond the prostate gland?
The positive outcomes correlate with surgeon experience, and our expert team of urologic surgeons, medical, and radiation oncologists will be able to pinpoint the locations of your prostate cancer; if it is elsewhere in the body, our expert team will devise a comprehensive plan to enhance treatment.
The Tulane Urology team, with its vast experience in robotic and laparoscopic procedures, will manage your prostate cancer in a bid to obtain the “perfect trifecta,” depending on your stage of presentation, to maintain your quality of life:
Robotic Radical Prostatectomy: Innovations at Tulane
- Tulane Urology was the first (in the entire Gulf South in 2022) to use the da Vinci robot to perform robotic surgery (now in its 20th anniversary).
- Tulane Urology was the first to perform bladder neck-sparing prostatectomy in the Gulf South (April 2003). Several reports attest to this maneuver facilitating early return of urinary continence.
- Tulane Urology routinely performs nerve-sparing prostatectomy to maintain your quality of life. These nerves are important both for recovery of continence and erectile function.
- Tulane Urology is the most experienced in extraperitoneal robotic radical prostatectomy.
Robotic Radical Prostatectomy: Center for Higher Learning
The Department of Urology at Tulane University is at the forefront of educational activities related to robotic urologic surgery. This includes being on the faculty of national and international robotic symposia, having publications in peer-reviewed urologic journals, textbook chapters, and undergoing several Continuing Medical Educational (CME) activities.